Our eyes are the most important organs for us. They provide us the sight to witness many things that get etched in our brains. But due to aging, we start losing our eyesight. Sometimes it also develops into optic nerve dysfunction. That brings us to consult the Best Neurologist. Their expertise and guidance will be helpful for us.
Neuroophthalmology is a study that focuses on the neurological problems of the eye. Some of the Best Neurosurgeon have the experience and expertise in this field. They will surely guide you with their wisdom and care if you consult them.
Here are some of the symptoms of optic nerve disorders which should make you consult your doctor soon. These diseases are:
- The sudden decrease in visual activity.
- Double vision and headaches.
- A less reactive pupil.
- Color blindness.
- Difficulty in seeing the light, also called photophobia.
- Visual field defects.
There are some common conditions in neuro ophthalmology that can be explained well by a doctor. Some of these conditions are:
- Optic Neuritis: This condition involves the inflammation of the optic nerve. This can happen due to things such as autoimmune diseases.
- Papilloedema; In this case, the optic disc gets swelled due to excessive pressure from the skull. This can happen due to a tumor.
- Nutritional Optic Neuropathy: In this case, substances found in alcohol or tobacco are the causes of optic nerve damage. Lack of proteins, vitamin B complex, and folic acid are other leading causes of this condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy: This condition happens due to excessive blood sugar or diabetes. This situation can cut off the blood supply to the retina.
If left untreated, these conditions can lead to the death of the affected optic nerve.
Treatments or Steps That Can Prevent Optic Nerve Dysfunction
Consulting a neuro-ophthalmologist can solve some of your problems. Their expertise and experience in this field will be helpful in guiding you in this fight. Treating this disease is necessary to prevent permanent blindness. So here are some ways, according to the conditions with which you can avoid blindness as follows:
- For optic Neuritis, you can go for antibiotics, and corticosteroids are helpful in preventing infection. They also prevent further damage caused by immune disorders.
- In Papilloedema, medications reduce the pressure inside the skull. In the case of a tumor, brain surgery might be required to decrease the pressure.
- In nutritional optic neuropathy, one needs to change their entire lifestyle. Doctors sometimes prescribe vitamin injectables.
- For diabetic retinopathy, you need to treat diabetes itself first. Then you can prevent damage to the nerves and blood vessels.
Eyes have the ability to capture the moments which will etch forever in your hearts. So it will be helpful if you consult your ophthalmologist if you have any of these symptoms or conditions. Early diagnosis can prevent a lot of damage.
If you want to get your eyes checked for these diseases, consult us for the best solution and care. Our team of doctors will ensure better treatment and best results.