The nervousness to get the surgery and the excitement to get yourself free wearing the specs/contact lenses is ‘BEST in a way’. We know the trouble we have to deal with wearing the specs and sometimes getting them lost in the way or broken by mistake. When a patient consults our doctor to get the LASIK surgery in Punjab, they often ask them the same questions. Mitra Eye Hospital & Lasik Laser Centre team of eye doctors always ensure that during the consultation, all the doubts of the patient are cleared. This is the reason, in this blog we are going to address the frequently asked questions by the patients undergoing LASIK surgery.
Frequently asked questions about LASIK
How do I know if I am a candidate for LASIK eye surgery?The best part is that LASIK surgery can be considered by anyone. As per the FDA, the parameters which have been approved are:
- Up to -12.00D of myopia, also known as nearsightedness
- Up to +6.00D of hyperopia, also called farsightedness
- Up to 6 diopters of astigmatism (cylinder), an imperfection in the curvature of your eye.
Before the doctor plans the treatment for you, he is going to perform an eye examination. During which, the doctor will check the thickness and shape of the cornea & much more. So, the ideal candidate for the LASIK surgery are:
- Patients above the age of 18
- The patient should not have an autoimmune disease, otherwise healing will be difficult
- Pregnant women or breastfeeding women cannot get the treatment
- Patients should have healthy eyes and there should not be any history of cataracts or dry eye problems.
Is LASIK surgery painful?
Due to the advanced technology, the treatment is not painful at all. Before the surgery, the doctor is going to apply the numbing cream on the eyes which helps you to not feel any type of pain. Mostly, the doctor gives Valium which helps the person feel comfortable. You might feel a slight itching or burning sensation which will go away after the surgery.
What all is included in LASIK surgery?
- First of all, the doctor will check your eye health and make sure there is no such issue.
- After that, on both the eyes the doctor will put a numbing eye drop which is like a sedative.
- With the femtosecond laser, the surgery can create a circular and thin flap which helps to precisely let the light focus on the retina. This way the vision will get better.
- The ultraviolet beams are used to take out the tissues and then the cornea is reshaped. Once done, the flap will be put back in its place.
It takes around 20 minutes to perform LASIK surgery for both eyes.
What does the recovery from LASIK feel like?
Make sure that you follow the post-operative guideline shared by the doctor. After one week, the doctor will tell you whether you can drive or not. Make sure that you do not perform any type of strenuous workout regime. In case you see a blood spot then it is normal and it will heal within 2 weeks.
When can I see the results from LASIK?
Although, the results are noticed right away. It is possible that the eyesight is hazy and fuzzy initially but gradually it will improve. After the procedure, you will have light sensitivity.