Overproduction Of Tears (Epiphora) And Its General Causes
Have you ever noticed that your eyes are watery for no reason? Well, it is not something to not worry about if the frequency is way too often.
Did you ever heard this famous proverb: “excess of anything is bad.” Apparently, it is also related to water eyes, known as teary eyes or Epiphora. Typically, the tears help clear the vision and maintain a clean front surface. But too much water or tears could create some issues. This is why visit us for a checkup from the Best Eye Doctors in Punjab.
It generally happens when there is an overflowing of tears or inadequate tear film drainage. When the tears cannot flow through the nasolacrimal system properly, it is drained onto the face.
Causes Of Ephiphora (Teary Or Watery Eyes)
There are mainly two big reasons that could lead to watery eyes or overproductions of tears in the eyes.
- Blocked Tear Ducts
It is predominantly seen in newborn babies as they often have teary eyes, which could be cleared easily within some weeks as the ducts are developed. On the other hand, some people are born with underdeveloped tear ducts.
People who are older or are teenagers might notice blocked tear ducts in both the eyes or maybe even one. It is usually accompanied by some other symptoms, including swelling, blurred vision, redness in the eyes, and crusting of the eyes. Exposure to extremely harsh weather like wind or cold could even worsen the symptoms of the conditions.
A blocked tear duct would not let the tears drain away, resulting in building it in the tear sac. There might be a significant risk of injection if the tear sac is stacked with tears. This might lead the eye to produce sticky liquid hence worsening the situation. This infection could also result in swelling of the nose, right next to the eyes. It could be cured easily if you visit Eye Hospital In Punjab for eye tests.
- Over- Production Of Tears
The eyes generally produce more tears than usual to remove or eliminate the irritation.
These are some of the reasons or irritants that could lead to the overproduction of tears:
- Cutting of onions.
- Those who are nearby some chemicals production or fumes.
- If you are suffering from the injection, conjunctivitis, allergic conjunctivitis, or pink eyes.
- Having some injury to the eyes such as scratch.
- Presence of dirt or small pebbles in the eyes.
- The condition- trichiasis, wherein the eyelashes are grown inward.
- Ectropion is a condition wherein the lower eyelids are turned upwards.
Over-production of tears may often assist with other symptoms, which depends on the reason behind the irritant. Some of the signs are inflammation, blurred vision, itching, redness, sensitivity to light, and pain.
Other Causes Of Watery Eyes
These are some of the other causes that could cause teary eyes.
- If you are suffering from injection on the cornea, name as keratitis.
- Consumption of certain medicines.
- An open sore (corneal ulcers) on the eyes.
- Having an allergic reaction such as hay fever.